From the NANOG conference (North American Network Operators’ Group), Richard A Steenbergen tells us everything we need to know about fibre optics; essential knowledge in today’s network-centric world – though fibre has been in frequent use in broadcast for a long time.
Whether this is new to you, or you’ve been using fibre for ages, you’re sure to get something out this detailed look at optics covering:
- How fibre works (the basics, fibre types and limitations, etc)
- Optical power (understanding dBm, loss, using light meters, etc)
- Working with optics (choosing the right type, designing optical networks, etc)
- DWDM (how it works, muxes, OADMs and ROADMs, amps, etc)
- Dispersion and other impairments (what is it, why do we care, how do we fix it)
- Optical Myths (can I hurt myself looking into fibre, can I overload my optic, etc)
- An update on the latest state-of-the-art optical technologies and trends.
You may also want to check out this page on the different types of fibre connectors
Richard A Steenbergen
Former CTO, PacketFabric,
Current CEO, Petabit Scale