FuboTV, Viacom, JWPlayer, Bitmoving and Littlstar sit down together to discuss the state and future of VP9, HEVC and AV1.
With the release of AV1 and support for HEVC in HLS, new dynamics are unfolding in the video codec world. VP9 is still gaining popularity among content providers, especially for web browsers and Android devices. This panel discusses the status of video codecs today, the benefits and drawbacks of each, and how these things will change in the future. It also discusses whether the industry is getting into yet another codec war, meaning that content providers will have to support multiple video codecs in parallel to reach all devices.
The panel hits these topics:
• What they are currently using and how they got there
• Bitmovin’s Video Developer Report
• AV1 coding performance benchmarks
• Use of VP9 and its future
• Apple’s adoption of HEVC on HLS
• 10-bit and 4:2:2 for consumer delivery
• HEVC Patent Pool Changes
• Cost effectiveness of AV1
• Smart TVs and much more!
Igor Oreper, VP, Solutions, Bitmovin
Sung Ho Choi, Co-Founder, Engineering, Fubo.tv
Glenn Goldstein, SVP, Chief Technology Convergence Officer, Viacom
John Luther, SVP of Technology, JW Player
Andrew Grathwohl, Director of Media Technologies, Littlstar